Hidden Aberdeen presents
LOST FOOTDEE: FROM THE KIRKTOUN TO THE FISHER SQUARES
Beginning at St Clement’s Kirk, the old Parish Church of Fittie, we take a walk through the forgotten areas now dominated by the harbour precinct.
Learn about the origins of Aberdeen’s most ancient fishing community, dating back to the 12th century when the fishers of Pockraw were the tenants of the Bishops of Old Aberdeen and looking into its rebirth as the city’s first Victorian council estate, and home to the city’s most famous shipyard, Hall Russell’s.
And then on to the famous Fisher Squares, built 1807-09, designed by city architect, John Smith (aka Tudor Johnny) who attempted a grander plan called “Dee Square” which was never completed. The squares recall a difficult new start for the fishing folk surrounded by building sites, boil houses from the whaling industry, and the old forts. The story of the Roundhouse and its modern successor, rounds off this insight into the lost and forgotten fisher village of Fittie.
Start point: St Clement's Kirk, Church St/St Clement's St junction
End point: Old Roundhouse, Pocra Quay
Duration: approx 2 hours
Adults: £10, Concessions: £8