His Majesty’s Theatre offers a magical experience to all who attend and a visit will guarantee you leave with more than you expected. Enjoy the pre-show buzz of anticipation in the foyer, take in the awe-inspiring beauty of the auditorium, listen to the orchestra tuning up and then feel the excitement when the lights down for showtime. After the performance you’ll leave with an overwhelming feeling of enjoyment and will want to tell everyone about your visit.
What else can we tell you about the theatre?
- A total capacity of 1,491 across four levels.
- Architect Frank Matcham also designed the London Palladium, Glasgow’s King’s Theatre, Bristol Hippodrome, London Coliseum and the Hackney Empire.
- Over the years HMT has seen performances from luminaries such as Charlton Heston, Sir Ian McKellan, Sean Connery, Erroll Flynn, Noel Coward, Alec Guinness, Vivien Leigh and more recently rock legend Brian May.
- When performing at the theatre, comedian Billy Connolly described the auditorium as “…playing a gig inside a wedding cake!”.
- HMT is a popular stop for large scale tours with performances including We Will Rock You, Hairspray, Dirty Dancing, Grease, Legally Blonde, The Sound of Music and Sister Act.
- The theatre has its own resident ghost. Jake is thought to roam the corridors of the theatre and was said to be a stage hand that died in an accident in the backstage area.
- The bars at the Dress Circle and Stalls regularly house art exhibitions from local talent.
With a varied range of shows from classic theatre to opera to dance to the ever popular musicals, HMT caters for all tastes. His Majesty’s Theatre is a fantastic way to spend time with a partner, enjoy an evening with friends and have a night out that you’ll be talking about for weeks. Visit for a show, leave with an experience.
Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen
Lat: 56.033501 Long: -3.137283
HMT is open from 9.30am - 6pm Monday to Saturday. Closing times vary depending on show times. The theatre is also open on Sundays during december for Panto. HMT also boasts a bespoke rehearsal and education space.
Ticket telephone: 0845 270 8200
Disabled Access Guide
At HMT we believe everyone should enjoy our shows with accessibility given a high priority.
- Street level entry with a drop off point in front of the theatre
- Disabled parking available on Union Terrace in front of Pavarotti’s restaurant and Schoolhill outside the Art Gallery
- 11 wheelchair spaces in the auditorium (8 in the stalls, 2 in the dress circle and 1 in the upper circle)
- For stalls access for those with limited mobility, a bell is available on the door in Donald’s Way 30 minutes prior to and until 5 minutes before the show starts.
- Transferable seats for those in wheelchairs who wish to sit in a theatre seat
- Access to the stalls, dress circle, upper circle, bars and 1906 restaurant via a lift
- Accessible toilets are available throughout the theatre
- Guide dogs welcome
- Signed and subtitled shows available
Please inform box office staff if you require a wheelchair space or transferable seat when purchasing tickets. If you have any queries on accessibility at HMT please contact 0845 270 8200.
Food and Drink Info
HMT offers a wide range of facilities:
- 1906 restaurant
- Cafe bar
- Dress circle and stalls bar
- Corporate facilities available
Whatever your needs, we can cater for you at HMT!
Friday 17 October
Following her sell-out run at the Adelphi Theatre in London’s West End, three-time Brit nominee and X-Factor winner, Alexandra Burke, will star in the leading role of Rachel Marron in the hit musical The Bodyguard coming to His Majesty’s Theatre in Aberdeen in March.
Monday 13 October
Aberdeen's panto queen Elaine C Smith is brushing up her housekeeping skills to lead the cast of the city's biggest and much-loved pantomime at His Majesty's Theatre, Beauty and the Beast.
Thursday 04 September
Wednesday 03 September
Monday 01 September
Friday 29 August