His Majesty’s Theatre offers a magical experience to all who attend and a visit will guarantee you leave with more than you expected. Enjoy the pre-show buzz of anticipation in the foyer, take in the awe-inspiring beauty of the auditorium, listen to the orchestra tuning up and then feel the excitement when the lights down for showtime. After the performance you’ll leave with an overwhelming feeling of enjoyment and will want to tell everyone about your visit.
What else can we tell you about the theatre?
- A total capacity of 1,491 across four levels.
- Architect Frank Matcham also designed the London Palladium, Glasgow’s King’s Theatre, Bristol Hippodrome, London Coliseum and the Hackney Empire.
- Over the years HMT has seen performances from luminaries such as Charlton Heston, Sir Ian McKellan, Sean Connery, Erroll Flynn, Noel Coward, Alec Guinness, Vivien Leigh and more recently rock legend Brian May.
- When performing at the theatre, comedian Billy Connolly described the auditorium as “…playing a gig inside a wedding cake!”.
- HMT is a popular stop for large scale tours with performances including We Will Rock You, Hairspray, Dirty Dancing, Grease, Legally Blonde, The Sound of Music and Sister Act.
- The theatre has its own resident ghost. Jake is thought to roam the corridors of the theatre and was said to be a stage hand that died in an accident in the backstage area.
- The bars at the Dress Circle and Stalls regularly house art exhibitions from local talent.
With a varied range of shows from classic theatre to opera to dance to the ever popular musicals, HMT caters for all tastes. His Majesty’s Theatre is a fantastic way to spend time with a partner, enjoy an evening with friends and have a night out that you’ll be talking about for weeks. Visit for a show, leave with an experience.
Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen
Lat: 56.033501 Long: -3.137283
HMT is open from 9.30am - 6pm Monday to Saturday. Closing times vary depending on show times. The theatre is also open on Sundays during december for Panto. HMT also boasts a bespoke rehearsal and education space.
Ticket telephone: 0845 270 8200
Disabled Access Guide
At HMT we believe everyone should enjoy our shows with accessibility given a high priority.
- Street level entry with a drop off point in front of the theatre
- Disabled parking available on Union Terrace in front of Pavarotti’s restaurant and Schoolhill outside the Art Gallery
- 11 wheelchair spaces in the auditorium (8 in the stalls, 2 in the dress circle and 1 in the upper circle)
- For stalls access for those with limited mobility, a bell is available on the door in Donald’s Way 30 minutes prior to and until 5 minutes before the show starts.
- Transferable seats for those in wheelchairs who wish to sit in a theatre seat
- Access to the stalls, dress circle, upper circle, bars and 1906 restaurant via a lift
- Accessible toilets are available throughout the theatre
- Guide dogs welcome
- Signed and subtitled shows available
Please inform box office staff if you require a wheelchair space or transferable seat when purchasing tickets. If you have any queries on accessibility at HMT please contact 0845 270 8200.
Food and Drink Info
HMT offers a wide range of facilities:
- 1906 restaurant
- Cafe bar
- Dress circle and stalls bar
- Corporate facilities available
Whatever your needs, we can cater for you at HMT!
Tuesday 15 July
Full casting has been announced for the Tony, Olivier and Grammy Award-winning Best Musical Jersey Boys, coming to His Majesty’s Theatre in Aberdeen next March.
Monday 30 June
WICKED, the global musical phenomenon that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, is pleased to announce that Scottish actress Ashleigh Grayand will star in the record-breaking production when it comes to His Majesty's Theatre on Tuesday 5 May 2015 until Saturday 30 May 2015.
Tuesday 24 June
Wednesday 18 June
Wednesday 04 June
Wednesday 28 May